Easy Recipe for Gluten Free and Vegan Stuffed Cookies, Ma’amoul

Ma’amool cookies are usually made in the Middle East for Christmas, Easter or Eid.  Making ma’amoul is a family or friends affair.  You always make enough to supply each child, each friend and most neighbors with at least  one week supply.

Ma’amoul is usually is made with cake flour, farina flour and butter but today will be making Ma’amoul that is gluten free and dairy free.  These gluten free desserts can be stuffed with walnuts, date, or mixture of the two.

Ma’amoul

Makes 12

1         cup potato flour

1/2    cup white sorghum flour

1        cup almond flour

1/2    cup sugar

1/2    cup almond milk

1/2    teaspoon yeast

1/2    cup coconut oil

2        tablespoons mushy boiled white short grain rice, this is the glue that hold the dough

1/8    teaspoon salt

For walnut stuffing:

1        cup walnuts

1/4   cup sugar

1       tablespoon orange blossom water

For date stuffing:

2       cups chopped date

2       tablespoons coconut oil

1        tablespoon orange marmalade

1/2    cup powdered sugar for dusting the cookies

To make the dough: Place all the flours with the salt and the sugar in chilled bowl and mix well.   Add the coconut oil and start to incorporate into the flour mixture.  Set aside.

-Dissolve 1 teaspoon  in the almond  milk and warm it.  Add the yeast, stir and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.  Add  the mushy rice, the active  yeast and milk to the flour mixture and mix well until the dough is smooth.  You can add couple tablespoons of cold water.  Cover and allow the dough to rest for 1 hour.

If you are making  walnut Ma’amoul: Grind the walnuts and then mix with the sugar and orange blossom water.

If you making date Ma’amoul: Place the date, the coconut oil and the marmalade in food processor and process into smooth sticky paste.  Remove from the food processor and cut and shape into 12 balls.

-To make the ma’amool: Cut pieces of dough and make a dent in the middle to form a cup.  Spoon about 1 teaspoon of any filling into the cup, and then gently close the opening wit the thumb and other fingers.  Decorate the top of the ma’amool by pinching the dough with pastry tweezers or place in a Ma’amool cookies mold.  Place your palm under the mold and gently strike the mold on the edge of a table to make the cookie fall in your palm.

-Place the ma’amool on cookie sheet and bake in 350 F degree oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until light brown on the bottom and light color on the top. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 1 hour.

-Dust the ma’amool with the powdered sugar and store in tightly closed container.  The ma’amool can keep for couple months.

-If you don’t have mold, just cut the dough, form into ball, make a hole in the ball and stuff it with your choice of stuffing.  Close the ball and form any shape with your hand and then make a design with a fork.

Invite friends and family, turn on your favorite music and have  making Ma’amoul party.  Let me know what do you think of this gluten free dessert.

Comments

1. Sarah says

Hi
    Just wondering if you have to use the sticky boiled rice in the recipe. What else can I use to replace it.

2. sanaacooks says

Hello Sarah: Yes. I cook the rice and stir while boiling until the rice is sticky. I puree the rice into smooth sticky dough. You can use boiled potato, peel and puree in food processor while hot into sticky dough. Other option is using psyllium fiber. I use 1 table spoon of fiber for each 3 cups of GF flour. Mix the fiber in 1 cup hot water, stir to mix and add right away to the GF flour and knead well. The rice, the potato or the psyllium act like clue that hold the GF together. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other question.

3. Dee says

I made these with walnut stuffing. They were not great -they looked like burnt, cracked yurts. 1) 350 at 30 minutes is insane! Way too hot. They were burnt after 15 minutes and I couldn’t give them to anyone but family. (I was going to give them to other Celiacs for Christmas). I have a few more walnut ones that are not baked yet and I’m going to try this at a much lower temperature. 2) Not putting any orange blossom water or rose water in the dough made them not taste that authentic to my family and I. I have a few glutenous recipes to refer to and I’m going to add some rose and orange blossom flour water to the dough in similar proportions to the glutenous recipes when I make the batch of the date ma’amoul. 3) 1 cup of walnuts for the walnut filling is too much – I had nearly 1/4 cup of walnuts leftover. If using 1 tsp of stuffing for 12 ma’amoul, that doesn’t add up. Walnuts are expensive! And I had a very small mold so I got more like 17 ma’amoul and I still had nearly a 1/4 cup of stuff left over. For the date ma’amoul, I’m going to start with 3/4 cup stuffing, leaving out the jam. I hope those turn out better than the burnt walnut batch.

4. sanaacooks says

Hello Dee, I am very sorry about that. I bake them in my restaurant and they turn out good. I use orange blossom water in the stuffing and not the dough so not to over power the cookies with one flavor. I will be making this cookies in couple days and I will check everything again to make sure that your next patch turns out good that you will be happy to give away to your friends. Sanaa

5. Amna says

I can’t wait to try these! I want to make them for a tea party this weekend. There is one part I am confused about, though- what were we supposed to dissolve in the almond milk?

6. sanaacooks says

I and my customers love them and I think you will. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the almond milk. Warm up to the milk but don’t boil it. Add the yeast and allow it to ferment. Add the rest of the sugar to the flour mixture and then the active yeast with the almond milk. Dee in the previous post said that 350 was too high. It takes that long in my oven but do check your oven after 15 minutes. The dough should be light gold. Please let me know how it turns out. Thank you, Sanaa

7. Amna says

They were amazing! I used rice milk instead of tbe almond milk and added a teensy bit of orange blossom water to the date mixture- those were my only modifications. They were an absolute hit with my guests, who couldn’t believe they were gluten free vegan. Thank you for the recipe.