This spinach dish is definitely not Popeye’s can of spinach. Although I wish eating this dish could give me muscles like Popeye’s, I think the flavors make up for it. I hope you enjoy eating spinach in a way more than a salad.
Caramelize the onion in hot olive oil so the onions are golden and crispy.
Sear the garlic in the olive oil, add the spinach, stir couple times and then push to the side of the pan.
Add the cranberries, the cilantro and cook for couple minutes. Mix with the cooked spinach, season with the lime zest, lime juice, salt and black pepper. Turn off the heat.
This easy vegan spinach main dish goes great over rice. I make basmati rice colored with turmeric to serve with this rice. Spoon the spinach over or next the rice and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
- 2 pounds baby spinach, or chopped spinach
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup cranberries
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of cooked rice
- Heat the olive oil in heavy pan. Salt the onions and place in the hot oil. Stir and fry until the onions are caramelized. Remove the caramelized onions with a slotted spoon and place them on plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Turn the heat down and add the spinach. Stir couple times.
- Push the spinach to the side of the pot. Add the garlic, the cilantro and the cranberries. Cook for couple minutes and then mix into the cooked spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Zest the lime over the spinach and cut the lime and squeeze the juice of both limes over the spinach.
- Spoon the hot rice in a deep serving platter. Spoon the spinach stew over the rice, spread the caramelized onions over the spinach and then sprinkle the pine nuts over the whole dish.