This is a healthy, easy-to-make, inexpensive, tasty vegan salad that you can whip up for your guests in under 10 minutes. My daughter, who is going to second year in college, is so excited that next year she will have kitchen in her on campus apartment. We started a “Recipe Notebook” that contains her favorite recipes, well, the recipes that she’ll be able to make, besides oatmeal, in her college kitchen.
I am glad that I raised her to be aware of what she eats and the role of food in her body. Anyway, this salad is the first recipe that she asked to make when she came home for the summer and the first she wrote down in her new recipe book.
Anyone who eats my food, whether at the restaurant or my home, knows that I am big on colors, textures and flavors. This salad has them all. Try this delicious vegan bean salad and let me know what do you think.
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 32 ounce can cooked black beans, drained and washed
- 1 12 ounce can corn, drained and washed
- zest of one lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Place all the vegetables in salad bowl.
- Whisk the lemon zest with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Drizzle this dressing over the vegetables and toss well.
- Add the cooked black beans and the corn to the mixed vegetables. Toss gently. Taste to adjust the seasoning. You might need to add more lemon juice or salt.
- Spoon into deep serving platter and enjoy.