Most of the time I plan my menu and recipes around the Farmer’s market vegetables. This Sat. I found a basket of baby zucchini. I broiled couples, made zucchini spread and last I decide to make lasagna. I just seared diced fresh zucchini and then made white sauce and red sauce. I used no boil lasagna sheet for easy no hassle recipe. The lasagna was light but rich in flavors.
Cut the zucchinis into 1 inch thick pieces and saute with red onion in olive oil just for couple of minutes. I like to keep the zucchini crunchy which add great texture to the lasagna.
Have your sauces ready and start to assemble the lasagna.
After you assemble the lasagna sprinkle fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- 2 boxes no boil lasagna sheets
- 3 medium size zucchinis, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium sized red onion, julienned
- 4 cups 2%milk
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 5 cloves garlic, mashed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- zest of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- To make the white sauce; Pour the milk into heavy saucepan. Mix the corn starch in ½ cup of water and add to the milk. Place the milk mixture over the heat and cook, stirring often, until the sauce slightly thicken. Stir in the ginger, the lemon zest and salt. Set aside.
- To make the red sauce: In heavy pot, heat half of the olive oil and sear the mashed garlic for few seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes, 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Place the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Stir, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil and turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in pan, cook the onion until golden. Add the zucchini and cook for few minutes. Don't over cook the zucchinis. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble: Pour half of the white sauce in the bottom of baking dish. Arrange few lasagna sheets over the white sauce, make sure the sheets overlap. Spoon half of the tomato sauce over the lasagna sheets. Arrange more lasagna sheets over the red sauce, make sure they overlap. Spoon the cooked zucchini over the pasta sheets and then spoon the rest of the white sauce over the zucchinis. Arrange more of the lasagna sheet over the white sauce. Pour the red sauce over the lasagna sheets, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in 395 F. degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.