I have to say that lentils are one of my favorite type of beans. It is full of flavor, high in iron, high in fiber, easy to cook and very in-expensive. I make some kind of lentil dish at least once a week and this salad is my favorite during summer time. It has color, texture, flavor and it tastes great.
Chop the vegetables, add the dressing and toss well. Boil the lentil and remove from the heat when the lentil is done but not mushy. Drain right away and add to the vegetables. Don’t leave the lentil in the hot water to prevent it from becoming over cooked.
If you are vegan, skip the feta cheese. This salad tastes great with and without the cheese. You if you like use my vegan feta cheese.
- 1 pound lentil
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 baby cucumber, diced
- 1 punch Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoons oregano
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup olives oil
- zest of one lemon
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese or vegan feta cheese
- Place all the vegetables in salad bowl.
- Place the olive oil, the lemon zest, the lemon juice, the oregano and the salt. Whisk and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
- Place the lentil in a pot with 8 cups of salted water. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and cook until the lentils are just done. Drain the water right away and add the lentils while still hot to the vegetables. Toss well, adjust the seasoning and spoon into serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with the feta, if using, and serve hot or cold.