My husband does not eats any leftover. He loves fresh cooked food at every meal. I think, I am to blamed for that. I enjoy cooking and act as his private chef in the house. Believe me he takes full advantage of it. So, I became very creative in using left overs. I would use old bread in soups or salads. Few roasted vegetables will make great filling for vegetarian lasagna or in a stew. If I have stew leftover , I would make shepherd pie.
The base for this shepherd pie is sweet peas and mushroom stew. This stew is simple very healthy and great to serve over rice.
Spoon the sweet peas stew into baking dish.
For the potato topping: Peel russet potatoes and place in heavy pot. Add couple slices of ginger, teaspoon of turmeric and dash of salt. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the potatoes are done. Remove the potatoes from the water. Place in a bowl and puree with olive oil and spices. You can use little of the boiling water to help smooth the potatoes.
Cut about 1/4 inch cut on the corner of one gallon Ziploc bag with 1/2 inch pastry decorating tip. Spoon the mashed potatoes into the Ziploc bag and start to squeeze out the mashed potato into one inch florets over the sweet peas stew.
Bake the shepherd pie in 395 F. degree oven for 35-45 minutes and the tips of the potatoes are golden.
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh sweet peas, you can use frozen but let them thaw first.
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, diced. You can use 12 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 3 large russet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 2 inch long fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
- To make the stew;
- Heat half of the olive oil in heavy stew pan. Cook the onion for few minutes and the onion is transparent.
- Add the mushrooms, stir and cook over medium high until the water evaporated and the mushrooms are golden.
- Add the garlic, the peas, the carrots, and the tomatoes. Stir and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water, salt, Aleppo pepper and oregano and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. This stew is ready and can be serve over rice for fantastic vegan main dish.
- To make the potato topping:
- Place the peeled potatoes in heavy pot. Cover with water. Add couple slices of fresh ginger, the turmeric and little salt. Bring to boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Take out the potatoes and place them into bowl. Add the rest of the olive oil, the cayenne pepper, the lemon zest, the lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of grated fresh ginger and little salt. Mash the potato until you have smooth paste. You can add couple spoons of the cooking liquid if you need to.
- To make the shepherd pie:
- Spoon the sweet potato stew into baking dish.
- Cut one tip of large Ziploc bag and fit it with ½ inch wide cake decorating tip. Spoon the mashed potato into the Ziploc gag.
- Hold the Ziploc bag with the tip should be lightly touching the surface. Using a steady, even pressure, squeeze small cone shape on top of the sweet pea mixture. Repeat until the potato covered all the sweet pea stew.
- Bake in 375 F. degree oven for 30-45 minutes and the tip of the potato cones are golden.