The other day I got several loaves of new Sara Lee Artesano-style bread. I liked the the thick-sliced bread because it has no artificial flavors, colors or high fructose corn syrup.
I decided to use the bread to make a dessert that combine three of my favorite desserts, creme caramel, apple pie and bread pudding. Maybe I should call it apple pie bread pudding al creme caramel.
Cut the bread into 2 inch cubes. Place the bread in a bowl and leave it to dry for couple hours.
Start by mixing almond milk with corn starch to make the creme. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring continuously, until the milk thicken and coat a spoon. Remove from the stove and add the orange marmalade or pureed candied oranges. Pour this mixture over the bread and let is set for an hour.
Caramelize one cup of sugar and pour it while hot into bread mold.
Peel, dice couple Granny Smith apples into 1 inch cubes and toss with cinnamon and pine nuts. Place on the bottom of bread mold.
Caramelize one cup of sugar and pour it while hot over the apple mixture. Allow the caramelized sugar to harden.
Spoon the soaked bread over the apple into the bread mold.
Place the bread mold into deep baking tray and pour hot water and bake in 395 F. degree for 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven, allow the bread pudding to sit for 5 minutes and then turn it upside down into flat serving platter. Savor the flavors.
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups bread cubes
- Peel the apples and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Toss the apple cubes with the pine nuts in cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. Spoon the apple and pine nuts mixture into 13x4x4 bread mold.
- Caramelize one cup of the sugar until golden brown and pour right away over the apple cubes.
- Mix the corn starch with ¼ cup water. Mix the almond milk with the rest of the sugar and the corn starch. Cook over heat, stirring continuously, until the milk slightly thicken and start to coat the spoon -- now have your vegan cream--. Remove from the heat and whisk the orange marmalade and the vanilla extract.
- Add the slightly dry bread cubes into the almond milk cream. Leave the bread in the milk to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Spoon the bread with the milk over the cold caramel. Tap gently.
- Place the bread pan into large baking pan. Pour hot water into the larger pan for about 1 inch thick.
- Bake in 395 F. oven for 35-45 minutes. Remove from the oven. Remove the bread mold from the large baking tray and set aside.
- Allow the bread pudding to rest for 5 minutes. Place flat serving platter on top of the mold and then gently but quickly turn the mold upside down onto the serving platter. Wait 5 minutes and gently remove the mold. Serve room temperature or cold.