I recently discovered black rice or The Forbidden Rice and it has been love from the first bite. I love the color and the texture. I have used it in soups, in pilafs and now in salad.
Use turmeric in the boiling water to get my yellow rice.
Use rainbow carrots for more colors, crunch and health. Noisy salad is a healthy one.
I did have fresh pomegranate sitting on my counter so I used the seeds. This is optional. You can use cranberries if you like.
For dressing use fresh orange juice, ginger, sesame seeds oil, Tamari sauce, and lemon juice.
Toss the vegetables and then add the cooked yellow and black rice.
Toss gently, taste, adjust the seasoning and then serve. This salad tastes better after it rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- 2 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 6 rainbow carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh fennel, optional
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup black rice
- ½ cup basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup sesame seeds oil
- ½ cup Tamari sauce
- salt to taste
- Place the black rice in a pot. Add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Cook until the rice is cooked but not mushy. About 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain any extra water and allow the rice to cool down.
- In another pot, bring 1¼ cup of water to a boil. Add the Basmati rice and the turmeric and bring back to a boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes over low heat. Remove from the heat. Spoon onto tray and allow the rice to cool down.
- Place all the vegetables in large salad bowl. Zest the lemon and the orange over the vegetable.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon and the orange into bowl. Add the Tamari sauce, the sesame seeds oil, the fresh ginger and the salt. Whisk well and then drizzle over the vegetables. Toss well.
- Add the black and yellow rice and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Chill and serve.