My husband favorite soup, before he became vegetarian, was French onion soup, my daughter loves mushroom soup and I love noodle soup. So I thought why not make a soup that can satisfy all of our tastes buds.
I caramelized the onions very slowly in order to have sweet caramelized onion to give the sauce deep color and flavors.
I sauted most of the mushrooms for few minutes but left few raw to sprinkle on top of the soup.
The flavors were tamari sauce, ginger, garlic, lemon juice and cilantro.
For me any dish should tastes good nutritious so, I added tofu cubes for protein and calcium.
Boil the soup, adjust the flavors and then add the tofu.
You can use any noodles in this soup but I use angle hair pasta. I boil the pasta in separate pot, drain and then spoon little amount into a bowl. I then spoon the soup on top, sprinkle with the fresh sliced mushrooms, fresh chopped cilantro and chopped scallions.
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 pound baby portabella mushrooms, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup Gluten free Tamari sauce
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- zest of one lemon
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ½ pound angle hair pasta
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cut the onion into thin slices. Heat the olive oil and cook the onion on low heat until the onions are caramelized.
- Remove the onions and set aside. Add most of the mushrooms and saute in the oil for couple minutes. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Saute the garlic, most of the cilantro and the ginger in the olive oil for few seconds.
- Add the caramelized onions back to the pot. Add 8 cups of water, the tamari sauce, the lemon zest and the lemon juice. Bring to a boil and adjust the seasoning. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In separate pot, add salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and boil until al-dente. Drain. Divide the pasta into 6 soup bowl.
- Add the tofu and the cooked mushroom to the soup. Bring back to a boil and then spoon over the noodle. Sprinkle with fresh mushrooms, fresh cilantro and the chopped scallions.