You do not know what to serve for your Vegan Thanksgiving dinner, well try filo domes. These filo domes are very elegant, taste great and yet very easy to make. The best part is that you can make them couple days before your holiday dinner.
First start by making your rice with vegetables and nuts . The rice can be made the day before. Usually I make the rice for dinner and serve with salad for a healthy meal, but I always make extra to use for the filo domes.
Get the filo dough and follow instruction on the box to prevent the filo dough from drying. You can use butter or ghee to make these domes but for vegan I use coconut oil.
Choose your mold. You can make the dome in muffin cup or small pie pan, which I do. I think, it is good serving size per person.
Melt the coconut oil. Brush the the filo sheet and fold in half for small pie pan. Place into the pan. Repeat until you have 10 layers. Sprinkle with the salt and chili mixture. Place about tea spoon of the toasted pine nuts onto the filo dough. Top the pine nut with about cup of the rice stuffing, sprinkle with the lemon zest and then fold the dough to cover the stuffing.
Bake in 350 F degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, dust with the sumac and touch of the salt and chili mixture. Sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and serve.
Make these domes to serve for your vegan Thanksgiving dinner. They are stuffed, baked tastes great and can compete with any stuffed turkey.
- 4 cups rice with vegetables, see recipe
- 20 filo dough sheets
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- zest of one lemon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- Heat the oven to 350 F. degree.
- Melt the coconut oil. Set aside.
- Mix the cayenne pepper and the salt together.
- Place the filo sheets on flat surface, cover with slightly moisten kitchen towel to prevent dryness.
- Brush the small pie pan with the coconut oil.
- Remove on filo sheet, fold and brush with coconut oil on both sides. Gently place into the pie pan. Dust with little of the salt pepper mixture.
- Repeat until you used 5 filo sheets. Spoon ½ teaspoon of the toasted pine nuts into the filo dough.
- Spoon 1 cup of the rice mixture over the pine nuts.
- Fold the dough over the rice and pat gently. Repeat the same steps to make four filo domes.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and the filo dough is golden.
- Remove from the oven, turn upside down onto serving platter. Dust with the salt and pepper mixture, sprinkle with the sumac and the rest of the pine nuts.