Potato is my to go vegetable if I had to make quick and easy dinner. The other day I needed to make a main dish for my cooking class at the local church so I got few yukon potatoes and thought of my favorite pasta sauce. Of course, I am talking about pasta puttanesca.
The story goes that the sauce was invented and made by prostitutes in Italy. One version claims that the prostitutes made it because it smelled so good that it lured customers with its powerful aroma. The other version is that when the prostitutes arrive late at their home they had to use whatever in their kitchen to make quick meal. Whatever the reason the sauce is delicious.
Puttanesca sauce is made with tomato, olives, capers and sometimes anchovies.
Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place the the potatoes in water. Bring the water to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
To make the sauce, sear the garlic in the olive oil. Add the diced red bell pepper, the tomato sauce and the dry basil. Cook for couple minutes.
Remove from the heat and then add the fresh sliced baby tomatoes, the olives, the capers and the fresh basil. Stir and pour over the potatoes. Toss well and spoon into baking dish.
Cover the pan with foil and bake in 395 F. degree oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven, allow the dish to rest for 10-15 minutes and serve.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 12 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 pound multi color baby tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green olives
- ½ cup capers
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound yukon potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- Place the potatoes in water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil, sear the garlic and then add the red bell pepper, the tomato sauce, the dry basil and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and cook over low heat for couple minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the the sliced tomatoes, the olives, the capers and fresh basil. Mix, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the tomato olive sauce to the potatoes, mix and spoon into baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in 395 F. degree oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow the dish to rest for 10 minutes and then serve.