Eggplant has very little nutritional value, but it does have a lot of fiber, an element that cannot be discounted. It is good for weight conscious people. One cup has only 25 calories, and it is filling. The trick is how to cook it.
Eggplant is also versatile as it can be used in appetizers, main dishes, soups, salads, and desserts. If you have not tried candied baby eggplant, you especially do not know what you are missing.
Before you begin cooking eggplant, slice it in the shape you want for the dish you are preparing. Then, place the slices on a cookie sheet, and lightly brush them with olive oil. Broil the eggplant until they are golden brown. Always broil, don’t fry. Once they are done allow them to cool then use them in whatever you dish you planned for the meal, like this easy vegan and glutenfree main dish.
The stuffing is chopped parsley with almonds and garlic. You can add parmesan cheese to the stuffing if you are vegetarian.
Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices. Brush with olive oil, place on cookie sheet and broil until golden brown.
Set the eggplant slices place about 1 tablespoon of the parsley stuffing at the wide end of the eggplant slices and fold into roll.
Place the eggplant rolls in baking dish. Spoon tomato sauce over the rolls and then top with the tomato olive mixture.
Bake in 395 F. degree oven for 25 minutes. Take out of the oven and enjoy.
- 2 large eggplant
- 1 cup coarsely crushed toasted almonds.
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup diced pitted green olives
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into ½-inch thick slices. Brush the eggplant with olive oil on both sides and place on a cookie sheet. Place the eggplant under the broiler and broil until golden. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Prepare the stuffing by mixing the almonds with the parsley and ½ of the garlic.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil and sear the rest of the garlic for few seconds. Add the tomato paste, 1 cup of water, the basil, the salt and the pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the tomato topping, toss jalapeno pepper with the diced fresh tomatoes the the diced green olives.
- To assemble, Spoon half of the tomato sauce into baking dish. take a cooled eggplant slice and place 1 tsp. of the stuffing mix in the center. Fold the slice over once to form a roll. Place the role in baking dish. Repeat this process for each slice until you have stuffed all the slices.
- Top with tomato olive mixture.
- Now, if you are serving this dish as an healthy eggplant appetizer then don’t bake the dish and serve it room temperature. On the other hand if you would like to serve the dish as eggplant main dish bake it in 395 F. degree oven for 25 minutes.