A local farmer brought me huge basket full of variety of squash. I made butternut squash hummus, squash pilaf, and squash and arugula salad. I had couple honey butternut squash left in the basket so I decided to make a soup.
By now, I am sure that you know how much I love colors and textures in every dish. So, I looked in my refrigerator and picked couple heads of cauliflowers and peppers to use in the soup.
I used tahini to thicken the broth and make it more unique. Tahini gives the broth great nutty taste, improves the soup’s nutrient values and makes the soup tastes richer, yet still vegan and low in fat.
Fill the soup pot with water, add few mashed garlic, salt, cumin and turmeric. Bring it to a boil. At this step, add the cubed potatoes and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Then, add the cubed sweet potatoes and the cubed butternut squash. Bring the soup back to a boil. Cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes. Check on the vegetables; you need the vegetables to be cooked but not mushy. At this point, whisk the lemon juice with the lemon zest and the tahini. Pour this tahini sauce onto the soup, Stir gently until you have creamy and runny yellow broth. Taste and adjust the seasoning and then add the cauliflower florets and the chopped peppers. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
The potatoes and the squash will be little soft but the cauliflowers and the peppers will be crunchy and that the way I like it. Remember that our teeth are there for a reason. Spoon the soup into bowl, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and enjoy.
- 1 .small white cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 .small purple cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 .medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 .tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 .tablespoon turmeric
- zest of one lemon
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- In a heavy soup pan, mix 4 quart of water with the garlic, the cumin and the turmeric. Bring to a boil.
- Add the russet potato cubes and bring back to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and the butternut squash cubes. Stir, and bring back to a boil. Boil for another 5 minutes.
- Whisk the tahini with the lemon zest and the lemon juice. Pour into the soup and stir gently until you have creamy broth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the cauliflower florets and the pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Spoon into serving bowl, sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and serve.