By you know that I love simple ingredients and simple recipes and nothing more simpler than to walk in your local farmer’s market and pick couple head on this and punches of that and make delicious dish.
This recipe will transfer a head of cauliflower into amazing vegan main dish. Break the head of cauliflower into medium florets, toss with couple spoons if olive oil, place on cookie sheet and broil until slightly golden on the top. Do not bake or over broil because you need to keep the cauliflower florets firm and crunchy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
I add potatoes and boiled garbanzo beans to this stew to add more texture, flavors and nutrients.
I saute the cilantro with little of olive oil before I added to the stew. I found that make the flavor more intense and keep the cilantro color sharp green.
Serve this dish over rice and you will get healthy vegetarian main dish that is high in protein and flavors.
- 2 medium cauliflower
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, slivered
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 32-ounces can diced tomato or crushed tomato with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 16-ounce can cooked garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/ 2 chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Divide the cauliflower into medium florets. Place the florets in bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, toss well, and then place the florets on a cookie sheet and broil until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sear the cilantro for few seconds. Set aside
- In a heavy pot, heat the rest of the olive oil and saute the onion for few minutes. Add the garlic and the ground coriander. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, 6 cups of water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Drop the diced potatoes, stir, bring back to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are done but not mushy.
- -Add the garbanzo beans and the cauliflower, stir gently and continue to cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- -Add the cilantro, stir and turn the heat off. Serve with rice.