The other night, I was invited to one of my friend’s home for dinner. Later, my friend called to tell me that one of her guests is vegan and allergic to gluten. My friend then asked if I would able to make a vegan main dish that both my vegetarian husband and her friend would enjoy for dinner. My husband adores spanakopita, and I just so happened to have made a new batch of vegan feta cheese. So, I thought “why not vegan and gluten free spanakopita?”
I started by making the vegan feta cheese.
Second I made the spinach stuffing.
Then I made the gluten free pita dough.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups crumbled vegan feta cheese
- 4 4-inch balls gluten free pita dough
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- zest of one lemon
- To make the stuffing: Heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in deep pan. Add the onion and cook over low heat until the onion are slightly caramelized. Add the spinach, stir and cook until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and place in a colander to drain any liquid.
- Add the crumbled feta, black pepper and lemon zest to the cooked spinach and mix gently. Spoon the spinach feta mixture into baking dish.
- Place wax paper on flat surface, grease with little olive oil. Flatten the dough gently. Take another wax paper or plastic sheet, grease and place the greased side on top of the dough and flatten into ⅛-inch thick dough.
- Gently peel the plastic sheet from the gluten free dough. You can try to flip the dough upside down on top of the spinach or cut the dough into squares and transfer one piece at time to the top of the spinach. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and pat gently. Cut the dough into diamond or square shape.
- Bake in 395 degree F. oven for 20 minutes or crust slightly golden. Remover and serve.